Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Here Wii Go

20 Units to sell at Wal-Mart.

30 people already in line.

A dilemma.

The time was 10:30 PM. I didn't have much time to work.

I quickly made a call to the only person I knew who could help me.

Thankfully, he was home.

I asked him if his family still had that wheelchair his sister was in after she was in that skiing accident.

He said yes.

Game on.

A five minute drive to his house, and I got to work.


I made out a deal with him. He would be able to play with my Wii every time he came over to his house if I could shave his head and have him do a little performance.


He agreed.


10 minutes later, he was bald.

Then some powder applied to his face, some loose fitting clothes, and a blanket a few minutes later, he was ready to sit in the wheelchair.

He looked perfect.

The wheelchair was set up in my jeep and we went to Wal-Mart.


As I rolled him into the Electronic Center, we could feel the eyes of the customers on us.

We looked at the long line of people and I said,

"Sorry Johnny. Looks like we got here late. It's ok, we'll get you a Wii next year....if you make it that long."

"Johnny" looked up at me and said in his weakest voice,

"That's ok. That's what I get for getting my hopes up."

I looked at the line and spotted exactly what I needed to see.

A few people with a tear in their eyes.

We turned around and then somebody spoke up.

"Excuse me, you guys can have my spot. I'll just get one later. You need it more than I do."

The gentleman was fifth in line.

I said,

"No sir, we can't do that. You have probably been waiting here all day."

He said,

"No, I insist. It couldn't sleep at night."

Johnny said,

"God bless you sir. God bless you."


We got in line and I got my Wii.

As soon as I purchased it, Johnny got up, folded the chair, we screamed, "So long suckers!" and hauled ass out of there.

Lucky for me, we also took his sister's old handicap parking pass and I was parked in the crip space.

We managed to pull away as a small mob of people came out of the doors.

No comments: