Monday, October 8, 2007

Fired

Some of you people would say I've had this coming, and you may be right, but my firing yesterday was uncalled for. And believe you me, I will be fighting it.

For one thing, the incident happened while I was on my break.

This happened at the fast food joint I part time at.


I go on break and decide to take my lunch out in the lobby. I sat down at a table by one of the windows.

As I'm sitting there, I see a car drive by. As it passed my window, the driver flicked a out a cigarette.

The cigarette happened to land in one of the bushes that are planted all along the windows. A nice neat row of them.

As I sat there eating, I noticed some smoke starting to rise from the bush. I really didn't think anything about.

Until I saw some flames.

The bush had caught on fire.


I took another bite of my sandwich as I watched the bush burn. Soon enough, the bush next to it caught fire as well.


Nothing like a good show to watch while you're eating.

I took a look at my watch and started to keep track on how fast these bushes were catching fire. I took a look around and made sure to map out my exit strategy..just in case the building should happen to go up in flames as well.

And let's be honest, I was kinda hoping that would be the case.


I was almost finished with my lunch by the time the whole row of bushes had caught fire. Finally somebody else had noticed what was happening.

They shouted out, "Holy crap, it's on fire!"

I silently applauded his skills of observation. Moments later, two of my coworkers ran out, dumping buckets of water onto the fire.

My boos had come running up beside me, she was talking on the phone with the fire department. When she was done talking to them, she turned to me.

She said, "what have you been doing this whole time the bushes were on fire?"

I said, "Eating my lunch."

She asked, "And you didn't think of telling anybody?"

I said, "I would have, but I'm on break."

Then she spouts out, "Not only did you put the store in jeopardy, you put all of our lives in jeopardy."

I replied, "Look, it's not like I started the fire. I can assure you, if I had, I would have made sure to tie you all up first."


Half an hour later, after the firetrucks left, she had my termination papers written up.

I refused to sign them.

5 comments:

Felix Nothus said...

If they don't pay you during your lunch hour then you should have no responsibility to the employer. Makes sense to me.

Cain said...

Well, a burning bush, you know...could have been a sign from God. Biblical, isn't it? How would the Fundies react if God had come down to share his teachings and, out of civic duty, some twit had put his bush out?

It was a duty to all mankind to watch it, in case of divine revelations.

Mourning Star said...

You were not in the wrong. You are under no obligation to your employer when off-duty and off-the-clock. In NY, you'd be getting UI... Dono how IL is however.

What'd you think of the forum BTW?

~Mourning Star

Virtual Satyr said...

The forums were good...I just don't have much time for message boards as I used too.

Unspoken said...

You are fucking hilarious!!!